Monday, February 4, 2008

A Simple Ficus Tree

This morning I sat on my couch and Jay Harvey looked in my eyes and smiled. Now, what's the big deal...he has smiled at me a hundred times in his 3 months of life. Today, though, it was different. In a split second, he looked at me as if to say, "Mom, you are the best thing in the whole world and you just make me so happy!" It came out more like, "aaaaa, oooooo, aaaaaaa, hiiiii."

Then as quickly as he smiled at me, he turned and looked at the ficus tree. He looked very solemn as he tried to understand what it was that had caught his attention. I told him it was a tree and he continued to stare in wonder at this object. I said, "Ficus". He turned and looked at me again and giggled out loud! Scrunched up his nose and jumped in my arms. I said it again and the same thing happened. How silly something so little could evoke such emotion.
I am sure it had nothing to do with the word tree or ficus, it was all about this great person who feeds him when he's hungry, plays with him when he wakes, burps him when he's gassy, and changes him when he's messy. It was about a little boys love and a mother happy to have every last morsel of it!

As he stood there in my lap giggling and pushing up on his legs I took a mental note, of how he looked, how he smelled, how he smiled, how he felt in my arms. Then he threw up on me...for the third time and it was just 11am.

I loved today with my little boy. I can't wait for tomorrow!

No comments:

Scrapbooking 500 Pages in 2008